Google AdSense is a free service that you can use to monetize your Website and YouTube channel. Google AdSense allows you to place their Ads on your content. When users interact with the Ads through your content, either by watching it or by making a purchase, you will receive a commission.
Before you apply for Google AdSense, go read my Article on Google AdSense Rejection and How to get Approved. It will save you a lot of headache and time.
Ways you can Apply for Google AdSense
There are a couple of ways to apply for Google AdSense.
- Through YouTube once your channel is eligible for monetization
- Use the Google Site Kit plugin for WordPress
- Go directly to Google AdSense and register
I’m sure there might be a few alternate ways that you can use to get to AdSense but these are the most popular ways and any of those options you choose will send you the Google AdSense website anyway. So we’ll just start from there.
Watch the video on other platforms.
Apply & Setup Google AdSense | Step-by-Step Guide
So the first thing you need to do is go to THIS LINK to start the process.
Sign Up Process
- Once you Start it’s going to ask you to sign in with a Google account. If you don’t have one, you easily create one with the link on that page, otherwise put in your Gmail account and enter your password.
- Now it’s going to ask you to Sign Up to AdSense. You need to type in the address of your website that you want to use AdSense on and your email address. (The YouTube Process is different since you’ll be going through the YouTube Partner Program)
- Next it’s going to ask you to verify or sign into your Google Account that you used or created earlier.
- Then Select your Country or Territory; Review and Accept the terms.
Name & Payment address Details
The next thing you’ll see is the Payment details. You want this to be as accurate as possible. This will reflect on how you get Paid and its used for tax purposes.
You can choose from two different account types: Individual or Business. Essentially, Business account payments are sent to the Business you specify and Individual account payments are sent to the payee of the account.
- Business accounts are also able to add users to the payment profile.
This is very important because you can’t change the account type after you activate AdSense. The only way to change this after activation is to cancel your existing AdSense account and open a new account with your preferred type. I’ll leave a link in the description where you can get more information.
Verify your phone number
Google AdSense requires a verified phone number for access to your account. You need to put a valid number to receive a verification code either by Text message (SMS) or by Voice call. Once you get the code, enter it and press Submit.
Connect your site to AdSense
So now you have to copy the AdSense code and paste onto your site.
You can easily just copy and paste the code in your HTML editor if you build your website traditionally.
Here is an Example. The highlighted text is your code you need to copy and paste.
And once you’re done pasting the code and saving your script then just go back to AdSense and check the box and hit done. It’ll look for the code and try to find it and you are done. Now it’s just a waiting game for google to verify everything is in working order.
If you are using WordPress you can use Google’s own WordPress plugin Site Kit by Google. Keep reading to find the code in the Setup Process.
Google Site Kit Setup Process
- Log into your WordPress interface and go to the “Plugins” section
- Select “Add New“, go to the “Search plugins…” bar and type in “Site Kit by Google“. You will see the results populate as you are typing
- Once you see “Site Kit by Google“, select “Install Now” button
- Once it’s done installing, select “Activate” button
After it’s activated, it may take you back to the Plugins section. Now select “Start Setup“, it will take you to the Site Kit setup (If not then go to the Site Kit dashboard)
- You need to select “Sign in with Google” button and it will prompt you to sign in with the google account you want to use.
- Then you need to give/grant Site Kit permission to access your sites information by selecting “Allow“
- Once your done will all of that then select “Proceed” to go through the verification process
- Once it verifies that you are the owner of the site, it need permissions to access the Google account data that you used to sign in, select “Allow“
- It will also ask to add your website to Google Search console, select “Add site“
Now you are done with Setting up Site Kit, select “Go to my Dashboard“
Connect AdSense Services
- Go to the Site Kit dashboard, if you’re not already there
- Select “Connect Service” in the AdSense block, this will take you to Sign in will your google account again. Choose the account you want to use
- You will then need to grant Site Kit permission again, you’ll see multiple parts but this time it’s for AdSense data, select “Allow“
- I will take you back to the Site Kit dashboard again and you’ll see this:
- Go back to your Google AdSense page or select link, “Go to your AdSense account to check on your site’s status…“
- Check mark the box “I’ve pasted the code into my site” and select “Done“
- You should see it looking for the code and found the code, select “Got It“
- Then you should see “We’re Reviewing your site”
Now you just have to wait for Google to verify everything. Just bare in mind that you could still get rejected. If you want to know about the rejection details and how to avoid it then check out THIS ARTICLE.
Alternative Method to add Google AdSense
If you don’t want to use Google’s Site Kit to connect your website to Google AdSense, you can used other plugins like Insert Headers and Footers.
- Once you are done installing and activating this plugin
- Go to Settings
- go to Insert Headers and Footers page
- paste your Google AdSense code in the “Scripts in Header” section
- Press the Save button on the bottom of the page
- Head back to your AdSense account
- Check the box to indicate that you pasted your code
- and press Done
Applying to Google AdSense is relatively straight forward and some other website services have a different process to verify AdSense so if you using an All-In-One CMS like Squarespace, Wix, Shopify or Weebly then check out their specific procedure on how to verify your website. The process is fairly the same but the navigation is slightly different.
Once again you should my article on AdSense Rejection and How to get Approved before applying.
Links on this page may be affiliate links, that are Free to use and will cost you nothing to use them. If you decide to make a purchase, I do receive compensation that really helps support my content so Thanks in Advance.
If you are interested in how to place Ads on your website then click here to LEARN MORE…
FOLLOW ME ===========================