When it comes to running a business, research is half the battle. With an Instagram Business account, you can gain valuable insights on how your marketing is performing and how your audience is interacting with your business.
Pretty Powerful Stuff!
Here are some of the reason why you would want a Instagram Business account.
- Over 1 Billion users on the platform
- Realtime metrics on how your stories and promoted posts perform throughout the day
- Insights into your followers and how they interact with your posts and stories
- More fields that you can add more information about your company
All this can be done in the palm of your hand.
Let’s Set It Up
First thing you are going to want to do if you don’t have an Instagram account is to download the app and register. You can download it for free on a few different platforms.
Once the app is installed you can go open the app and signup for an account. You can choose to use your email, phone number or your Facebook account to register. If you already have an account then you can just Log in with your credentials.
When you submit your registration you may need to go check the email for a confirmation code or if you used your phone then it might come in the form of a text message.
Once you register for an account you can do few things. Either complete your profile or switch your account over to a Business of Creator account and then finish your profile. I choose to switch over to Business account first but there is no wrong way of doing this, it’s your preference.
Switching Personal Profile to Business account
There’s two ways that I know of to switch your personal account over to a Business account. The first way is through your profile like this:
The second way you can do it is go into your settings and switch your account.
Once you select Switch to professional account, it will take you through the process.
Step-by-Step Instagram Business account
- The first thing it’s going to ask you to do is to select a category type that matching you or your business. You want to choose the one that fits your business the most so that Instagram can get you in front of the right audience. You can change this category later as well.
- Depending on what Category type you choose. It may or may not have both options to either create a Creator account or a Business account. For the most part you will see both options for most categories. We are going to choose Business as Creator is for another topic. Hit Next.
- You then want to make sure you fill in the information you want to be made public about your Business and hit Next
- It’s then going to give you the option to connect to your Facebook account. This is highly recommend if you have a Facebook Business page or you can skip it but if you do then it’s going to take you through the verification process.
- You have now Completed creating an Instagram Business account.
Creating your Profile
But what good a Business account without a good profile so lets go through the process.
- Picture. Add a Profile picture by selecting “Change Profile Photo”. You can use any picture you want here but I choose to use my Business Logo.
- Name. You can just have your Business name here OR you can also include some extra info like, a business statement or title. Just keep in mind that you are limited to 30 characters.
- Website. It’s a really good idea to add a website URL if you have one.
- Bio. Your Bio section is ultra important. You are limited to 150 characters. More on this below.
- Public Business Information. You are going to see a page field here if you linked your Facebook account here. You can change this by unlinking your Facebook account. These sections are fairly self explanatory but you want to go through each field and verify everything you want to be displayed publicly for your business. You can also create an Action Button here for users to Shop and Sell products or even book an appointment with your business.
Optimizing your BIO section
Let’s talk about the very important Bio section. For Instagram the Bio section can be used like your sales page. You want to explain to your audience what you are all about and why they would want to follow you. Here’s a blueprint on how I constructed my Bio in no specific order.
- Hook. You can use a catchphrase that will get your audiences attention when they view your profile. For instance I used “Your Journey to Financial Freedom Start Here”.
- Description. You can also put in some Services or Subjects to describe what your business is all about. I used, “Affiliate & Media Marketing | Web Design”.
- Call to Action. You already gave your audience a reason to follow you but you want to take it a step further by giving them the opportunity to use your services. I used “Break Free from your 9-5 chains by clicking on my website.
- Tags. Try to fit in key words by typing @ or # to link an account or hashtag.
Now that you have your Instagram Business account all setup. It’s time for you get Posting and promoting your Brand. Also here are some more information on how you can use Instagram Business to gage your Metrics!